About This Blog

I am a student at Futureworks currently in my first year of their Games Development Course. This blog largely comprises of work and illustrations made in relation to assignments, as well as the very occassional opinion pieces or information I happen to believe may be relevent to my fellow students on the course.

Friday 9 August 2013

Game Art - Diorama Part 2

Oh boy, the excitement. A week on, a new post. Where have I been? I've been working hard on finishing my diorama. As I write, I'm still not quite finished, although all that really remains is to bump map the textures I have done. Given that I also have a bit more time available before the hand in day, I've decided to add some additional objects to the diorama.

Additional objects? Why yes, I worked mostly on getting the absolute basics completed first, which is the cabin itself and the dressing table serving as the centrepiece. The additional objects are going to get their own write up after I have written part 3.

Building the Room


Anyway, so as of the last post, I'd mostly decided on what I was wanting to make, which was a fallout-esque post bomb room that had been usurped by a wandering survivor. Pretty much the first thing that changed as I started building up the rough objects that would make up the room as that... I felt flat walls were going to be a bit bland... even with bump mapping. I also wanted to conquer curved objects which meant that a log cabin seemed like a sensible way to go.


The basic layout of the room as laid out in the sketches.

I might as well throw up the rest of my render shots as they are, as they will tell more about what happened as I went along then trying to explain.

Same as the previous shot, only a different angle. So terribly obvious.
For the record, the table was composed of both box and cylinder objects, as well as some areas drawn with the line tool and converted into editable polys. The table also featured some chamfering on the edges in an attempt to make it look more curved.

At this point, I'd been working on the mirror for my dressing table, and had decided that I would rather have a larger window than a window and a door. 

Used the Boolean function in compound objects to cut a square shape out of one wall for the window. Table also rotated... because I could.
Additional note - The table was completed using symmetry on the half I had already made. I'll go into the details in the third part, but this did not really work out very well at all.

A diversion as I tested out a bump mapped texture. This was where I decided I definitely wanted to stick with painted textures rather than using photos.
The diorama still coming together. I decided to add a roof for some reason. I'm honestly not sure why.





I'm sad to say that I really don't have a lot to say here. I'll just say that the scene had deviated from the sketched plan for assorted reasons, from wanting use the space a bit better all the way though to wanting to make the diorama a little more closed up (Seeing as I envisioned the lighting in here coming through the window alone, I needed a ceiling.)
 
I also learnt how to use the Boolean and Bridge functions during this part of the work process. And whilst there are no screenshots to show (seeing as one would literally see nothing)... everything behind what can be seen in the screenshots has been removed, seeing as it would be time consuming to unwrap and texture areas that won't be visible in screenshots or in the Unity Engine.
 
In the next part!...
 
I'll be going into the texturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment