About This Blog

I am a student at Futureworks currently in my first year of their Games Development Course. This blog largely comprises of work and illustrations made in relation to assignments, as well as the very occassional opinion pieces or information I happen to believe may be relevent to my fellow students on the course.

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Game Art - Diorama, Part 4

Getting closer to the end of writing up this assignment. Strange, isn't it?

For added convenience, I'm including links to the previous posts. Just so there is less scrolling to mess around with. I may edit the previous posts to also contain links, but probably not. I am notoriously lazy, after all.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3


Additional Objects

As possibly touched upon in previous posts, I'd more or less prioritised the basic diorama itself over having too much to work with at once in the form of the room and objects to populate it as well. After finishing the cabin, I found that I still more or less had 5 days in which to make some small objects to place upon the table.

I returned to my sketches to see which items I could realistically build within the time constraints... it would have been a no no to try and make something that was complicated (With one exception). I settled upon -:

  • A radio
  • A book
  • A bottle of whisky
  • Playing cards
  • Planks
I wanted to make some posters as well... but I discarded this idea at first owing to not having time to draw them from scratch. More on this later.

Anyway, it turned out that it didn't take me too long to make the objects in question, mostly being composed. My radio was rather move complicated than the rest of the objects I created, and I initially had some trouble making a number of indentations in the model to represent the inset speakers. Using a compound object and trying to use the Boolean function resulted in my model getting covered in so many lines that I doubt it would have unwrapped. Instead, I used a pro-boolean function... while I have no idea why, it worked in creating the inset speakers without confusing the object with additional faces/edges. Naturally, there was also a fair amount of vertex welding of multiple objects to fuse everything together.

I made planks to cover the window somewhat, create that boarded up appearance I was gunning for earlier on in the project.


From left to right - Radio, Book, Bottle, Cards
Planks for the window


I created original textures for the radio, the book and the bottle (which I lovingly called Black Spaniels Bourbon). The playing cards used images scanned from some Fallout : New Vegas cards I have in my possession, something of a little nod towards the original inspiration for this piece. The planks used the texture I'd created for the cabin floor - Given the lack of time available before hand in, I didn't want to waste time making a similar texture from scratch.

... lazy, I know.

Early progress for the book.

Early planks. The colours didn't look right in 3DS Max, and so later they were darkened.

Book and Radio before bumpmapping. The radio was going to be blue instead of green... but I somehow felt that green was a more fitting shade.


Planks recoloured, and nails hastily painted in. At this point, almost everything was bump mapped.

All but the cards had been textured.

Cards textured, using the Fallout : New Vegas playing cards from the Collectors Edition

So yeah. Pretty much everything textured and completed. On the final day before hand in, I visited the Fallout Vault wiki to find some posters from the games Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I would have vastly preferred to have made my own posters, but time at this point (THE FINAL DAY) really didn't permit me the time. They were made using diffuse and opacity textures. Nothing special.

Below would be the diorama in the state I handed it in... in.




In the FINAL PART!...

... Some screenshots from the diorama in the Unity Engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment