About This Blog

I am a student at Futureworks currently in my first year of their Games Development Course. This blog largely comprises of work and illustrations made in relation to assignments, as well as the very occassional opinion pieces or information I happen to believe may be relevent to my fellow students on the course.

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Assignment 6 3D Level Design

I consider this as close to being finished as I can achieve whilst flailing my hands on the keyboard in the vague hope I'm learning something.

Anyway, this is my map for the assignment, a Mann vs Machine level for Team Fortress 2. And to explain MvM in a nutshell, players spawn on one side of the map, which is also the area they are defending. AI controlled robots approach from the other side of the map, trying to deliver a bomb to the player spawn... if the bomb makes it, the wave is lost... and if the players defeat all the robots, the wave is won.

I designed my map around the idea of a vertical level (Inspired by Upward and Offblast maps in TF2), meaning that the map itself may not be all that large, but the ability to ascend and descend compensates for this. The idea was partly inspired by the airblast mechanic as used by the Pyro, a level that held a lot of opportunities for being pushed off the map or to a lower level. I included fences to make it harder for a Pyro without upgrades to achieve this.

  And so yes. Basically, the robots start at the bottom of the map, and climb their way up to the top, and the players must prevent them doing so. (Would write more, but short on time thanks to sudden dinner and early trains)














No comments:

Post a Comment