About This Blog

I am a student at Futureworks currently in my first year of their Games Development Course. This blog largely comprises of work and illustrations made in relation to assignments, as well as the very occassional opinion pieces or information I happen to believe may be relevent to my fellow students on the course.

Saturday 1 December 2012

Assignment 6 - What am I doing?

I'm not uploading any more pictures, at least not yet. When I get round to showing some other aspects of my research, I'm going to try and link the images to their original source.

But I've not made much progress over the last couple of days. I've had a busy couple of weeks and I've been trying to unwind with little success. Some research has been made into New Mexico deserts to try and get a feel for what I'm trying to do, although I'm undecided if I'm basing the level on that classic TF2 default or if I'm perhaps going to go more for the Alpine theme that the game also features.

That said, I don't think I'm going to be able to make the map all THAT elaborate. I simply don't know Sketchup well enough and I'd rather get the level completed then get lost in details. Historically, I'm very much someone that wants to make things as perfect as possible... but I already know that I don't know how to do the things I want to do here. Curved, sloping paths that connect each vertical height are my main obstacles right now, and I'm close to resorting to keeping it square for the sake of simplicity. Priority remains getting the map planned out before I try to make anything look even slightly more organic.

I want to be able to hand the work in on Tuesday with something that resembles a map design.

No comments:

Post a Comment