About This Blog

I am a student at Futureworks currently in my first year of their Games Development Course. This blog largely comprises of work and illustrations made in relation to assignments, as well as the very occassional opinion pieces or information I happen to believe may be relevent to my fellow students on the course.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Assignment 3 - Initial Thoughts

Initial thoughts. I'm going to start writing one of these before I start every assignment in the future. I like to see how my work evolves from beginning to end, and I also like to see how my thinking changes over time.

And with that out of the way, the latest assignment given to us is to create two game concept documents, and on Thursday we need to come up with at least 5 ideas which will be whittled down to the two we'll be making documents on.

Personally, I am incredibly excited at the possibilities this assignment brings. I've been making up ideas for games for as long as I've been drawing, and over the years I've been doing everything but the thing I wanted to do most in life I have also made doodles and notes for ideas I think could be useful in the future. I cannot stress enough how important it is to write down absolutely anything interesting that comes into your mind, even if you end up not using it in the future... you just never know when the time will come for an idea to have it's day in the spotlight. These ideas aren't necessarily made with games in their mind, but I keep my writing as free as I can so that ideas can be flexible and applied to different projects. 

My plan of action at this point is going to be to take a look in my old note books to see if there is anything potentially interesting to be found and expanded upon. I have also been getting ideas since I started on this Games Development course, and I'll be uploading some of these ideas tomorrow if I get chance, and bringing some examples in tomorrow. 

I already know that one idea is going to be based on this character I created a few years back. He was a constant presence in the work I used to do when I was 'learning' animation. The idea essentially blended the superhero genre with a cast of heroes and villains inspired by the types of people found on the internet. He is also a character I used to use to practice my art styles, imagining the character over the ages from pulp fiction to modern comics. I can already imagine what I could do here gamewise. But tomorrow... tomorrow. For now, some images.



No comments:

Post a Comment